The South West postcode area also referred to as London SW area is a collection of postcode districts covering some parts of southwest London in England. The area begins from Battersea (SW11-SW20) and South Western (SW1-SW10) districts of London post town.
SW1 was initially the head district of South Western. Its density development is high and recently been divided into smaller districts. Apart from mail sorting, the smaller districts are used for other purposes like on street signs and geographic reference; the SW1 subdivisions classed further as one ‘district’. Within the South Western postcode district there are other distinctive postcode units.
Postcode area began in the year 1857 as the South West district. It gained part of the abolished S district area in 1868, while the rest went to SE. It was subdivided into several districts in 1917. The SW district comprises of postcode districts from 1-10 and the Battersea district comprises of postcode districts 11-20. South-west 95 is a non-geographic postcode district which was used by the section for work and Pensions. The postcode area belongs to the London post town and it does not require dependent localities.
The SW postcode area comprises postcode districts on each sides of River Thames. The South west 1 postcode district covers the central London area on River Thames north bank, approximately between Chelsea Bridge and Hungerford Bridge. This includes Belgravia, Pimlico, and parts of Brompton and Westminster. It contains Westminster Abbey, Whitehall, Westminster School, Dolphin Square, the Tate Gallery and Thames House. SW 2-10 forms the internal northeastern part of the area with SW 3, 5, 6, 7 and 10 districts north of River Thames.
SW 11-20 is completely south of the River Thames and forms the outer part of southwestern postcode area. The postcode district encompasses every part of London Borough of Wandsworth, the western part of London Borough of Lambeth, southern parts of Westminster City, the Royal Borough of Chelsea and Kensington, the south-eastern part of Hammersmith and Fulham’s London Borough, the north-eastern location of Richmond’s London Borough upon Thames and northern parts of London Borough of Croydon and Merton.
The SW Area encompasses Merton, Colliers, Wood and Wimbledon. People have lived in Wimbledon since, at the minimum, the Iron Age period when it is thought the hill fort found on Wimbledon Common was established. In the year 1807, Wimbledon was also a part of manor of Mortlake, the year when Domesday Book was compiled.
The manor of Wimbledon ownership altered between many wealthy households several times during its history, and it also attracted other rich families that established big houses like Warren, Wimbledon and Eagle House. The village progressed with a steady rural population that coexisted alongside rich traders from the city and nobility.
In 18th century, the Fox and Dog public house was established as a stop on stagecoach run from to Portsmouth from London. In 1838, London and South Western Railway established a station to the SE of the village, at the foot of Wimbledon hill. The location of the station changed the spotlight of the town’s later development away from its original village centre.